Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Mr. Bean's Holiday -- I loved it!




We went out as a family to see Mr. Bean’s Holiday yesterday. Normally, I am neither a fan of Mr. Bean or Rowan Atkinson for that matter (except, of course, for the brilliant Black Adder series) but I really rather liked this film.

Although it started out with what I really dislike about Mr. Bean, his selfishness, irritating mannerisms, facial ticks, and odd lexicon of grunts, the film evolved into something really very sweet, a buddy road trip from Paris to Cannes via St. Jean Cap Ferrat and Ville-France in a restored Mini Minor.

Both Emma de Caunes as aspiring actress and Willem Defoe as narcissistic auteur shone. Seeing the French countryside pass by was also lovely.

If you were thinking of taking out any of the under four foot set to the cinema and are tired of talking computer generated animals with voices you know, I don’t think you would go far wrong taking them to see this film. Somehow, in a way that I have not seen done since perhaps Louis Malle in his heyday, has France been caught so well on film and by Mr. Bean of all people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments more than welcome!